Stanford Nepal Medical Project 2018 Pikey Peak Camping Trek

12 July 2018

The morning started off with an amazing view of the valley and the mountain across from the gorge. Istarted with my normal routine with has fallen into place within the last 19 days. Brush my teeth, wash my face, put on clothes, pack my sleeping bag, pack my stuff, and evacuate the tent. After leaving the tent, I put my stuff down at the dining table and headed straight for the little blue tent. A solid 5-10 minlater I exit the fly infested place and find myself in the middle of a vast grey mass. The pleasant view of
the gorge and the mountain ahead had completely disappeared in 10 min, and in its place was a giantcloud. Instances like this morning have happened countless times and really speak to what the weatheris like during this time of year.Thankfully, the clouds cleared up as we began our last morning walk. It was a pleasant downhill followed by our last suspension bridge. I really like these bridges, and seeing one ahead on the path was very exciting. Next came a brutal uphill, zig-zagging back and forth. At the top was a road…but not just any road. A PAVED ROAD! Never have I ever been so excited to see an actual paved road. I was so excited, only to have it ruined by Jorge and the sherpa turn off the road for another uphill path.We finally made it into a town with actual cars, and signs of wifi..A great sight for sore eyes. After lunch, we hiked for a bit more up a paved road, finally making it to Phaplu. The first thing Joey did when entering the hotel we were staying behind was check for wifi. When he figured out that there was a passwordless network that worked, everyone in the room whipped out their phones and began texting their loved ones. There were mostly two strategies going around the room. Strategy 1: tell your parents
and loved ones that you're alive, and then immediately shut off your phone to avoid the string of questions. Strategy 2: tell your parents you're alive, and then leave your phone on but only respond every 20 minutes.Following the 20 minute internet binge, Joey and I left the blessed land of wifi to hand out the rest of the tooth brushes. No one else wanted to go with us because they were too busy sucking up the wifi. I played volleyball with some of the school children before handing out toothbrushes to the 1st-5th graders. We didn't have enough toothbrushes for all the kids and had to awkwardly leave while the 1st- 5th graders enthusiastically waved, and the 6th and 7th graders looked on with envy.
Dinner was amazing as always. We had fried chicken, fries, some sort of noodles, and dal bhat. Dessert was even better. There was a cake and an assortment of fruit. Overall this has been an amazing experience. Seeing the Nepali students turn from shy gigglers to confident students who could perform physical exams, histories, and present to the doctor was
definitely a fulfilling feeling. Being able to inspire so many kids and adults of a community who don't necessarily have the same opportunities as we do in America has definitely given me a new perspective for my own life and has made me thankful for what I have been given.
Signing off,